Silver Cord Guidelines
Students and parents should remember this is a student driven initiative – it is the student’s responsibility to arrange the volunteer activity, follow through with it, and complete the necessary paperwork within the stated time frames.
- If your volunteer opportunity is listed on the website, you do not need to fill out a pre-approval.
- For all other non-listed opportunities, please fill out the online pre-approval form prior to the activity. This ensures that your experience will count for Silver Cord hours.
- Please allow at least five (5) days for approval from the time of submission (be aware that it can take up to a week to make contact with the supervising agency).
- Students must receive confirmation of approval prior to starting their experience.
- Special consideration is given for unforeseen volunteer projects where pre-approval could not be obtained—i.e. natural disasters, emergencies, etc.
- The volunteer service must be supervised by an adult who is employed by the organization, or is an established volunteer who is recognized by the organization.
- Family members and/or fellow students cannot act as the supervisor, nor can they verify volunteer hours.
Verification of Supervisor and Submission of Hours
- Upon completion of the service, students are required to fill out the online reflection form, and have the documentation of hours form signed by their site supervisor.
- Forms should be submitted to a Silver Cord Coordinator on the first day of each month for ongoing activities and within 30 days of completion for all other activities.
- Seniors need to have completed their 40 hours AND turn in all eligible forms by May 5, 2023.
- Students should keep track of hours with the documentation of hours form.
- Hours will not be input to Infinite Campus until both the signed hours form and the reflection have been turned in.
Distribution of Hours
- Students must accumulate 40 approved hours per year for three years: sophomore, junior and senior.
- The total of 40 hours each year should be completed through a variety of volunteer experiences in three (3) areas: Church, School, and Community. Students must complete hours in at least two (2) different service areas.
- No more than 15 hours will be credited for any one experience. (For example, you can only total 15 hours with the Animal Rescue League. You can, however, have more than 15 hours in a category)
- Service hours earned during the summer after the academic year may be applied toward EITHER the prior or following school year. (For example, incoming sophomore students may start earning hours on June 1st prior to their sophomore year and the summer after sophomore year can apply toward EITHER the sophomore OR junior 40-hour requirement.)
- Summer hours begin the day school is dismissed for the summer break and end the day before the first day of school.
- Completed Reflection Forms for summer service are due by October 6, 2023. You must include the original signed verification form.
- After October 6 no hours will be accepted for the prior year/summer.
- Incoming sophomore students may start earning hours on June 1st prior to their sophomore year.
Student Transfers In
If a student transfers into the school district, the required hours will be pro-rated dependent upon their current grade classification.