Chromebook & Tech Help
Chromebook Quick Fixes
If you are experiencing issues with your Chromebook, the following steps can be tried before you call for help:
- Hard Reset: If the screen is frozen, mouse won’t work, etc, try a hard reset. Hold down these 4 buttons at the same time: Control, Alt, Refresh, Power. (The control and alt buttons are on the bottom left, refresh is the circle arrow in the top row, and the power button is on the side on the newer models.) Hold those 4 buttons down together until the screen goes black, continue to hold until the screen comes back on or 10 seconds. If the screen doesn’t automatically turn on, push the power button to restart.
- Clear the browsing data: Under the 3 dots, more tools, clear browsing data. Check all the boxes you can, set time to ALL TIME and click Clear Data. This little fix takes care of a variety of issues!
- Update the Chrome browser: Under the three dots, settings, About Chrome…It will tell you the version of Chrome running and give you an update button if you are not using the most current version.
- Remove extra extensions and apps added to the account. In Chrome if you look under the 3 dots, more tools, and then extensions…just check to see if there is anything extra like game apps or extra extensions that aren’t school or class work related. Deleting extra items will help.
- Microphone Issues: If you are having issues with people hearing you or you hearing others, go through these Mic Settings. If you’ve used earbuds/headphones in the past, pay particular attention to step 2, changing the output.
Chromebook/Technology Help Requests
If you are experiencing issues with your Chromebook or school accounts during school hours, 8AM to 3:45PM, please call CHS at 515-965-9610 and ask to be directed to the Media Center. You can also request help by filling out the tech help form linked below.
The Ankeny Schools 1:1 Chromebook Initiative offers each 10-12 grade student a Chromebook. For more information regarding student and parent responsibilities, repair fees, acceptable use, troubleshooting tips, and FAQ, please visit our Chromebook district policy page.
The button below will take you to the district website page detailing information about Securly and providing a link to sign up to receive a weekly email showing a preview of your child’s online activity.
Students Leaving the District
Transferring Google Account Information
If a student is leaving the district or graduating, they may want to download or transfer the items from an Ankeny Schools Google Account. Click on the links below for step by step directions.
This option creates an archive of whatever Google services they select and downloads it into one or more .zip files. Drive files are converted to a similar file type (Docs to Word or RichText, Slides to PowerPoint, Sheets to Excel or .csv). Students will need to save the archive (.zip files) to their personal computer, flash drive, or external hard drive. Watch this video for help.
This step allows students to copy any of the files that they “own” directly to a new Google account. This could be another .edu account (if they have their college info) or a personal Gmail account. It does not appear to change the format of any of the files, but it appears like only some Google services are available. If students have a lot of data in their Drive account, they might also run into storage limits with a personal Gmail account. Watch this video for help.