Opportunity: Student Rep on School Board
Jaguar Students and Families,
We are excited to begin the process of selecting our first ever student representatives for the school board. For the 2021-22 school year, there will be 2 student representatives, one from Centennial High School and one from Ankeny High School. This is a great opportunity for our students to have a voice in educational programming for the district and support the changes that they would like to see in the district.
Qualifications for the Student School Board Representatives
- The student must currently attend Ankeny Centennial High School (or Ankeny High School) in Grades 10-12.
- The student must be in proper academic standing equivalent for participation in athletics or other student activities, and maintain proper academic standing throughout their term.
- The students will be expected to maintain personal standards of behavior appropriate to participation in student activities.
- The student must have the ability to gather information from a variety of student stakeholders to share celebrations and concerns with the school board.
Expectations for the Student School Board Representatives
- Attend school board meetings two times per month, currently scheduled for the first and third Tuesdays starting at 6:00 pm.
- Engage diverse student groups in learning about their needs related to the district’s educational programming.
- Collaborate with the building principal to support students and provide student voice at the building and district level.
Students interested in serving as the school board representative for their high school need to submit an application through the Student School Board Representative Application for Ankeny Schools 2021-22 SY Google Form. The applications will be reviewed by a student committee who will select the representatives for their respective high school.
The timeline for applications is as follows …
- Applications Open – August 27, 2021
- Applications due – September 10, 2021 by 5:00 PM
- Student Selection Committee Meeting – September 22, 2021
- Student Representatives informed of selection – September 24, 2021
- First Board Meeting for Student Representatives – October 5, 2021
If you have any questions about the expectations for the student school board representative position or the application process, please contact Dr. Jill Urich, ACHS Principal, email@example.com, or, Peter Apple, AHS Principal, firstname.lastname@example.org